Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The continued interview with Lorrisa Julianus



Queen Zenobia played by Lorrisa Julianus
copyright Photography by Michelle Ho


Are you working on any current projects other than Zenobia the musical?

She’s my obsession and left room for little else last summer, especially with so many actors to sew costumes for! But I’m very open to whatever experiences and opportunities come into my sphere in 2013. One of my dreams is to be an on-camera host for History Channel documentaries or travelogues ala Rick Steves.


Where did you get your training?

I graduated with a Film/Theatre B.A. from Columbia College Chicago at age 17 in 2003. I continue to train and work with Chicago’s best acting and voice coaches.


In how many films you have performed up till now?

A ton of shorts, and a small amount of feature films as those are hard to finance and not many are shot in Chicago as compared to short films, commercials, and industrials. My latest feature was “The Dream Play,” which won several awards on the film fest circuit.

How different is it to act in a movie and to act in a theater play?

Significantly different, and there are many theories on a proper approach. There are basic rules with film that stage actors have to get accustomed to, some of which have to do with limiting movement and having careful control of where one’s eyeline is directed. Not to mention the need to project one’s voice onstage and not on film.


Which has been your favorite character that you have performed?

My favorite stage role was Judas in the musical Jesus Christ Superstar. It was set in a post-apocalyptic world and director Michael Fudala was very open-minded with gender casting. He let me interpret Judas as Jesus’ sullen bodyguard filled with unrequited love. It was a blast. Gave a whole new meaning to kiss of betrayal!


What has been your biggest achievement in the field of acting?

My most notable credits at the moment include lead motion capture acting (roles of Sonya, Mileena, Shiva, Kitana, and others) for the last two Mortal Kombat videogames, lead acting for several other WB fighting games, and an appearance on “The Bold & the Beautiful.” Horror film fans might remember me as Countess Bathory in the reality show for After Dark Films that they added on their 2008 DVD releases.


What do you prefer theater acting or movie acting?

Film is a passion of mine and always has been. I do theatre for the camaraderie, discipline, and because the opportunities are far more abundant. Film acting can be harder as you can’t BS the camera! But to me there’s nothing more exciting than the experience of being on set.


Who is your favorite actor/actress that inspires you?

That’s a tough one. Growing up, my favorites were Patrick Stewart and classics like Yul Brynner, Greta Garbo, Danny Kaye, and George Sanders. I developed an obsession with silent films in high school and remember being taken aback when a fellow driver’s ed student had no idea who Rudolph Valentino was! Nowadays, the actors whose performances I admire most include Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich, Viggo Mortensen, Hugh Jackman, Edward Norton, Liam Neeson, Robert Downey, Jr., and Glenn Close.



What kind of roles have you performed throughout your career? What kind of roles do you prefer?

Villains, always! They get to have so much fun! After that, anything historical is my favorite. I also have a soft spot for superheroes and love being one in Mortal Kombat and the other WB fighter games. I have a strength in accents and dialects, and enjoy using those for character development. As much as I get cast as the Eastern European femme fatale (and truly enjoy it), bimbo roles are my strong suit in improv comedy. Jokes can be found in almost anything and daffy ditzes can get away with saying anything onstage! I’m sure I’ll miss being the silly one onstage as Zenobia.


Thanks to Lorrisa Julianus for a great interview. Her talent amazes me, and doesn't she make a beautiful Zenobia?!

Don't miss your chance to see Lorrisa play in Zenobia the musical in Bolingbrook, Illinois August / September 2013 at the Theatre on the Hill, for more information go to http://www.tothbolingbrook.com/Theatre-on-the-Hill/Home.html


For more information about Lorrisa go to her website http://lorrisajulianus.com/Lorrisa_Julianus/Welcome.html 


Scott Bovaird as Danathus & Lorrisa Julianus as Zenobia
copyright Photography by Michelle Ho

No comments: